Born in Uruguay in 1968, Fabio studied at the Montevideo German School and Goethe-Institut, where he became a German language teacher. He is proficient in English (Cambridge ESOL) and a speaker of other languages. Fabio holds a degree in Architecture (University of the Republic, Montevideo, 1996), a postgraduate degree in Real Estate Projects (UCUDAL, 1998) and a postgraduate degree in Translation and Interpreting (IMUC, 2010).
His professional experience began in architectural studios in Montevideo. He moved to Germany in 2000, where he gained work experience in the construction industry and real estate sectors; while working there he gradually became a technical translator with solid architectural background. Back in Uruguay, he moved into full-time freelance translation from the comfort of his home as the growing popularity of the web began to make this feasible.
Due to his entrepreneurial spirit, in September 2007 he received a Commendation for Originality in Export of Services from the National Chamber of Commerce and Services of Uruguay. During 2007-2008 he moderated the German-Spanish and English-Spanish subcommunities on Proz.com and the forums for Proofreading, Linguistic Diversity and Translation in Uruguay. In August 2008 he organized the ProZ.com Regional Conference for Translators in Montevideo, Uruguay. Since 2010 he has been delivering lectures on Translation and Language Markets. He is also a writer of fiction.
Some translation clients and projects:
- gmp Architects von Gerkan, Marg and Partners (institutional communication)
- Magno Smith Gestão Patrimonial Ltda., Brazil (real estate valuation)
- plan4solar PV for GasCad (software for solar energy)
- Nemetschek (CAD software)
- The Louis Berger Group, Inc. (CVs and newsletters)
- Site Journal (construction software)
- Osnabrück und Umland (illustrated book by Bettina Meckel)
- Museumsarchitektur (illustrated book by Chris van Uffelen)
- more than 40 patents
- several expert witness reports